Saturday, August 20, 2011

Catch up review no. 2: New Belgium Brewing's 1554 Enlightened Black Ale

I’m playing catch up review again; hopefully this doesn’t become a regular thing.  After missing last week, the first time since June, I spent another Wednesday night at Half Priced Pint Night.  Wednesdays are also brewery glass nights, where if you buy the beer, you get to keep the glass.  Last week’s special glass was a beautiful, gold rimmed, Stella Artois goblet.  Since I hadn’t already ordered Stella for my beer tour, I bought the glass.  I was so amused with that thing; I just kept staring at it and smiling.  Drinking from that glass made me feel like a lush.
I'm suddenly too classy for this bar
My first choice was kind of made for me, but I didn’t know what to order for my second beer of the night.  I was feeling sort of impulsive, and I was also in the rare mood where I wanted something dark.  As I got up to the bar someone was ordering a “1554”.  I’ve had a guy recommend that to me before, so I figured why not get one as well.  1554 Enlightened Black Ale is a Belgian dark ale from New Belgium Brewing, the company most famous for brewing Fat Tire.  I’ve always been a little apprehensive to try 1554 because I’m not a fan of Fat Tire.  Not at all.  I know plenty of people like it, but I’m just not one of them.

It's not Guinness, but you couldn't tell
The brew poured a dark, dark, dark reddish brown.  It wasn’t black as promised by the name, but what did I care, it still looked good.  It had just a bit of brownish white head, but it faded away pretty quickly.  Practically no lacing, but the glass seemed very wet, so I wasn’t really surprised.
I took a good sniff and could smell chocolate.  It was a very comforting smell, one of the most appetizing smells in the world. It made me want to drink the beer, which is exactly what aroma should do.
The most dominating flavor in this beer was of roasted malts.  It was very rich and luscious.  A bit of a dark chocolate taste came through in some sips, and sometimes I could taste nuttiness.  There was absolutely no hop note in this beer, zero.  The roasted malt flavor was so good though, that I didn’t really care, I think hop bitterness might have just complicated it.
The beer had a decent mouthfeel, sort of smooth.  It was a bit drying, but nothing to really complain about.

I’d give New Belgium Brewing’s 1554 Enlightened Black Ale 4 out of 5.  I was pleasantly surprised with this brew, especially considering my distaste for Fat Tire.  I went into the tasting expecting to be let down, but I can safely say I enjoyed it.  It’s good, even something I’d recommend, but it may not be a truly great beer.  I think once it’s colder outside, this would be a brew I’d pick up again, but I won’t be rushing back to order it.

1 comment: