Wednesday, August 3, 2011

So this is a beer blog right?

I know what you’re thinking, because I’m thinking the same thing, “why would he start a beer blog?”  The answer is simply timing.  Earlier this summer I was invited to the grand tradition of Half Priced Pint Night at Obannon’s Irish Pub in College Station.  Sitting at a booth with a group of my friends, I had a sudden realization.  “It’s the summer, I have only a few responsibilities until September, and I’ll probably be frequenting Obannon’s each Wednesday (at least).  Right now, THAT’S the perfect time to start my beer tour.”  So I did.  The beer tour is a hearty challenge to try each of the 75 brews that Obannon’s carries at any given time.  The reward is a beautiful stone mug and admittance to an exclusive club, reserved to those who also finished the challenge.  The only catch, you can only count 2 drinks per night for the tour, they gotta’ keep you coming back somehow (as if 75 different brews wasn’t incentive enough). 



We know what you want.


            I’ve made solid progress on my tour.  It’s been about 6 weeks now, and I’ve tasted 21 out of 75.  If you drink 20+ beers in a period of 6 weeks, a few things might happen to you.  1.) You get very tired of beer, or 2.) You crave it even more.  I, myself, have found the latter to be true.  Like any common red-blooded American male, I have a profound love for beer.  Also like any common red-blooded American male, I know basically dick about beer.  Since starting my tour, I have been devoting hours upon hours to beer research.  I’ve given in to my inner beer geek.  The purpose of this blog is to share with the general public my humble opinion of the beers I try.  Moreover, I am using this blog to educate myself on the fantastical history and science of the brewing process.  Lastly, I’m using the blog to justify my expensive drinking habit, but hey, it makes me hoppy (get it, it’s a hop joke)
.

No comments:

Post a Comment