Friday, August 26, 2011

Rooty Tooty Fresh n' Fruity: Leinkenkugel's Sunset Wheat

Last Wednesday was my last Half Priced Pint night at Obannon’s before school starts next week.  That’s sort of an odd thing to say considering this coming Monday will be my last first day of classes as an undergraduate at Texas A&M (assuming I don’t fail anything).  I don’t mean to get all sentimental on you, but lately I’ve been having all of those “next step towards the rest of your life” feelings.  I’m not much of one to plan things in advance, but being a senior in college makes you change that pretty dang quick.  Right now the only things I’m trying to plan are trips to Texas breweries.
Speaking of...
Next Saturday, September the 3rd, I’m making the drive to Conroe to tour the Southern Star Brewery.  This lovely little craft brewery is best known for their Bombshell Blonde only found in cans or kegs.  The brewers themselves are a quirky little bunch that brew by the motto “clarity is overrated,” deciding not to filter any of their beers.  It’s gonna be a good time, and in spirit of the tour, my first beer for Wednesday night was a can of Bombshell Blonde.  Just like the Big Sky Trout Slayer I had a few weeks back, I couldn’t really review this beer from the can, so I just happily drank it.  No disciplined critique, just plain ol’ enjoyment. 

My second beer of the night was sort of a throwaway.  I've said this before, I’ll say it again: doing the Obannon’s beer tour means you order all 75 different brews, whether you like it or not.  So, I decided to just try and get some undesirables out of the way.  At the very least, I figured it would make for an interesting review, so I ordered Leinenkugel’s  Sunset Wheat… unofficially dubbed “the fruity pebbles beer.”
Not to be confused with 'Fruity Pebbles bar'
Leinenkugel’s Brewery was founded way back in 1867.  They lasted through prohibition by selling “near beer.”  In 1988, Leinenkugel was purchased by Miller Brewing Co.  That’s right, we can lump Leine’s into that category… the “craft beer brewed by the big 3 category.”  I’ll let you form your own opinion about the subject.  Leine’s Sunset Wheat is a Belgian style witbier, an unfiltered wheat beer.  Specific to this beer is an added top note of blueberry.

From the tap this brew poured a finger of head that dissipated within a few seconds.  In the darkness of the pub I could see the beer was a cloudy orange color.  When the streetlights outside shown through, the beer looked like more of a yellow orange color.
The beer had a definite fresh scent, with lemony/citrusy notes.  The smell made me less nervous to taste it, because it didn’t smell like a child’s cereal.
The taste sure did though.  The beer was strongly carbonated, and very fruity.  My immediate reaction was, “this beer tastes like crushed up Trix, blended into a Sprite.”  The main flavors were orange, grape, and lemon.  Since it was so fizzy and light, the beer was very refreshing.


Overall, I’d rate Leinenkugel’s Sunset Wheat 3 out of 5.  I can see why some people would enjoy this beer, but I’m not some people.  This beer really only works for fruit fans or non-beer drinkers (sweet wine lovers maybe), and I’d consider this as a recommendation for them.  For anyone else though, I’d recommend a different wheat: Paulaner Hefeweissebier, the beer I washed Leinenkugel’s down with.
Good stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment