Thursday, August 4, 2011

Saint Arnold Brewing's Fancy Lawnmower

My second choice last night was Saint Arnold Brewing Co.’s Fancy Lawnmower, a Kölsch style beer brewed in Houston, TX.  I hate that city, but as my coach used to say "the Sun shines on a dog's butt every once in a while" (not sure if that applies, but I'll leave it there anyway).

Lately, I’ve been drinking a lot of summer seasonals, questing for a perfect summer brew.  For those of you who haven’t lived in the American south, it’s hot.  Damn hot. 
Just a couple more months til' Fall
In College Station yesterday, the temperature reached 105, and the humidity leveled off at about 75%.  There’s something about walking outside and feeling the sweat leak from your pores before you get to your car that makes you really appreciate a hydrating summer-y beer.  I’m also a firm believer in drinking for the season.  What I mean by that is, I don’t want to drink something like a stout in the middle of August.  Stouts were traditionally enjoyed as strong, warming brews for colder temperatures and they don't seem appetizing to me at this point in the year.  
No thanks, I'll pass
Bubbles!
Before the advent of refrigeration, beers would be brewed in certain seasons, stored for periods of time, and then enjoyed during a specific month.  Drinking for the season makes me feel closer to my ancestors, and makes me appreciate certain brewing styles even more.  St. Arnold Fancy Lawnmower is a good example of my seasonal bias, if it were 32 degrees and rainy outside, I'd probably pass it up.  Lawnmower is not a seasonal release, it just feels like it should be.


Lawnmower pours a slightly hazy straw yellow.  It formed some head, with very good retention.  This beer is very bubbly, well carbonated.  So well, it might be a turn off for some people.  Being so carbonated it allowed for a friendly foam that lasted throughout.  Having that head there made the beer seem fresh, long after it was drawn from the tap.  It laced surprisingly well for being a lighter beer.

This beer had a very pleasant smell, like a driving past an orange grove.  The front end note was citrus fruits (lemon and orange) and the rear note was light fresh grass.  The grass was from the hops.
This beer tasted exactly like it smelled, refreshing and delicious.  Strong citrus, some light grass.  This beer was very clean, practically no aftertaste or bitter note.  It was funny, this beer was drinkable like water, however it wasn’t watery (unlike the Saint Arnold Summer Pils I tried earlier this summer).  That lasting carbonation I talked about added to the drinkability.  It was almost as if this beer washed itself down.
This sums it up well
Overall, I’d rate Saint Arnold Fancy Lawnmower 4 out of 5.  I didn’t have any negative response from this beer, except for the fact that it wasn’t too memorable.  This is an easy beer to pick up and drink a lot of, and it’s semi-local from Houston so that earns it +points for me, but there are other brews I’d like to try before buying this one again.  It’s kind of neat drinking a Kölsch style beer, because those are uncommon, but the novelty quickly wears off. Also, that rating might be a little elevated by the sweltering heat outside.



Check out the A&M glass I bought at Obannon's last night.  It will make the beer taste better.


The grand flavor of tradition

No comments:

Post a Comment