Monday, August 8, 2011

Dazed and Confused: Delirium Tremens

I made a few random picks this Sunday at Obannon’s, I’d say it went alright, which is the best I could have hoped for.  I’ve been doing a massive load of research on what I want to try next at home, but I’ve spent a lot less time figuring out what I wanted to order next at the pub, so last night I accidently bought a beer in a can.

I have nothing against beer in a can.  Contrary to what people tell you, the can doesn’t change the flavor of the beer.  Cans are sprayed with a flavorless coating which makes sure the metal never comes in contact with the brew.  The only metal you might taste is from putting your lips to the rim to drink it.  Besides, a keg is essentially just a large pressurized can without the pop-top.  If you’re really against cans I guess you should stop ordering beers on tap.  Stick to the bottle or wait for those new-fangled glass kegs they’re making (note the sarcasm).

My problem with ordering the beer in the can was the bartender, whom I’d never seen there before, didn’t think to offer me a glass.  I’m not enough of a beer snob that I can’t enjoy a beer without pouring it into a glass; however, it makes it pretty damn hard to write a review for a beer you can’t really see or smell.  Since the trivia was about to start and the place was busy, I waddled myself back over my table and drank my beer.  I didn’t put much effort (read: any effort) into reviewing Big Sky Brewing Co’s Montana Trout Slayer, my only after thoughts are that it tasted good and I’d like to try it again.  That’s the sum of what I remember.
The review that never was
The second beer I ordered, I could somewhat review in between pub quiz rounds.  I ordered Delirium Tremens from the Belgian brewery Brouwerij Huyghe. After I ordered, the same lady bartender from earlier let me know “it’s a little on the expensive side.”  Doing the beer tour, I don’t really have a choice, because eventually I will have to buy and try all 75 brands.  So I took a chance and agreed to the purchase.

Tremens is strong pale ale that comes in an oddly decorated bottle as you can see.  After the strange hallucinogenic label, you’d expect the beer to be more mystic.  The beer poured a strong 3 finger head, but I’d attribute that to the bartender practically splashing it into the glass.  I’d describe the color as a pale amber, like the kind of amber mosquitos get trapped in.  Too distracted to note the lacing.
Tremens is supposedly famous for the estery, or fruity aroma it produces.  Against the hype, I wasn’t really impressed.  I did pick up on some; I couldn’t dissect the individual fruits, except for orange peel.  Also noteworthy was a hint of spice like sage.
Ales develop fruit accents, it’s natural.  Delirium Tremens is a prime example of that.  The taste wasn’t much of a departure from the smell.  There was a great compliment from the fruit and spice.  Orange and pear, mixing with sage and white pepper.  On the swallow, the alcohol warms your throat.  Tremens has an abv of 8.25% and it’s pretty obvious.  This beer leaves your mouth dry after you're finished, your breath doesn’t smell very good either.
I’d give Delirium Tremens 3.5 out of 5, it’s fine but it’s not fantastic.  Many people rank this beer high, and maybe I expected too much out of it.  That’s the true problem with tasting and grading beer: taste is subjective, and it’s hard to disregard other's opinions and begin a tasting unbiased.  If you like ales, particularly Belgians like Duvel, you’d probably want to try Tremens for yourself.  If you don’t like stronger alcohol beers, leave this one on the shelf, it looks better there anyway.
That one's pretty, but can I try it in red?

No comments:

Post a Comment